The founding 4, standing from left to right, Anastasios Markou, Ilias Markou, Dimitris Markou, seated Constantinos Markou The roots of Violar S.A. in cotton business go back in 1955 and are closely connected with the dawn of mechanical cultivation in Greece. It was our devotion to our customers and our eminence to quality control that placed us high in the marketplace and set the bases of a flourishing course. Expertness in cotton ginning and grains and the provision of totally reliable supplying services have reserved us a special position among other suppliers of raw cotton and grains around the globe.
In 1955, the four brothers, Anastasios, Dimitrios, Ilias and Constantinos Markou, started ginning cotton in the already established Livadia area’s facilities.
In 1969 the cotton seed oil factory was inaugurated only to be followed by the cotton gin in 1978, both in Livadia area.
By 1994 the second ginning mill started operating in Achilleio, Larissa, so that Markou Bros can reach and serve the farmers-suppliers of the plains where more than half of Greek cotton is produced.
In 2004 Violar S.A. acquired another facility, a previously state-owned silo and warehouse complex in Velestino-Volos, expanding their trading capabilities, since the new complex can facilitate, preserve, manage and efficiently distribute all of its products.